Food Composting Systems

Stephanie Foster - George Brown College - 05.02.2015


Hi All, Does anyone have an ORCA food waste composter (digestive system) on campus? For info: http://www.totallygreen.com/how.html
I seem to recall us having a discussion about this a couple of years ago but could not find anything on the OCUSP Blog.
I have not decided if this is indeed a more environmentally friendly way to go compared to collecting food waste to be composted and reused as a soil additive.  It seems counter intuitive to turn a  potentially useful waste into waste water.

If you do have an ORCA system,are you happy with the efficacy? Has it indeed resulted in cost savings? Or have any savings been offset by increased maintenance? 

Any other thoughts/feedback would be welcome. Thanks - Stephanie

***

Mary-Lee Townsend - Fanshawe College - 05.02.2015


I find myself wondering about this one too Stephanie…we have not looked into it to any great extent here and I think if we were going to invest in something like this, it would be an in vessel composter…something that spits out usable compost at the tail end vs. water to go down the sewage system. 



It just seems to be more sustainable over the long run. 



Also, our municipality is doing a lot of work to reduce nutrient loads into the sewage system…at my previous workplace, we had significant challenges reducing our nutrient outputs and had to deal with surcharges from the municipality for that.  I don’t know that ORCA would contribute to that, it says the water is “earth friendly” (whatever that means – they don’t give more specs online about the water quality i.e. BOD, nutrient loads)…so I know that our facilities guys would be really nervous about that. 



Food for thought…



Cheers, ML

***
Tonga Pham - Ryerson University - 05.02.2015


I have a contact at the Metro Convention Centre, they are using the ORCA. Let me know if you would like the name and contact info.



Regards,

Tonga