Waste Bucket Challenge



Brigitte Morin - University of Ottawa - 09.01.2015

Happy New Year everyone!

I hope you had lovely breaks and are ready for another year of sustainability!

In the context of RecycleMania (feb-march), we are launching the ‘Waste Bucket Challenge’, and I was wondering if any of you would be interested in starting this on your campuses? (I am also going to try and convince US-based campuses as well)

You basically have to try to live waste-free for the chosen amount of time (minimum of one week) and collect all the waste (that would go to landfill) in a bag or container. At the end of the challenge, you make a 30-60 second video demonstrating how much waste you produced and challenge a friend or two.



And a sample video of what we expect participants to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbxGP3_1700&list=UUcJQpSPK9ngduoLFQPBExPw

If you are, we would be glad to challenge you or your sustainability team at the end of January.


Let me know, and happy week end!

***

Paul Caruso - University of Guelph - 09.01.2015


Let me be the first to say YES!!! but If you could challenge our office a week before RecycleMania, that would be awesome! I'd like to challenge a bunch of people right off the bat. Also to try and one up you all, at the end of the week I will let my team dump any waste they produced on my head! Thank you for the great idea Brigitte


Tyler Plante - Wilfred Laurier University - 13.01.2015

Hi Brigitte,


Great idea, please challenge us! We would be glad to accept your challenge and will further challenge our staff and students!

Looking forward to it, thanks!

Tyler

***


Kati McCartney - Laurentian University - 14.01.2015


Count us in! Because I am a one person department, I've challenged our whole Facility Services Department (office of 15 people). We had to move quickly as other events are occurring at the end of January, so I initiated the challenge for next week!
However, I took it one step further and asked for a water bottle ban, individual printed pages tracked and screen savers energy saving settings for the week (many people still leave screens running while they are away - and our office LOVES paper). Essentially I asked the office to be aware of wasteful behaviour for one week - we will send you the results when you request them from all participants.

Thanks again!!

Kati 

***


Chelsea Dalton - UofT Mississauga - 16.01.2015

Great idea, Brigitte!  Count us in as well.  I’m also a one-person department, but I have plenty of student volunteers who I’m sure will want to get involved.


-Chelsea